Great Start Readiness Program
Great Start Readiness Program is a free, high quality preschool program for four year olds in Oakland County. The focus of GSRP is to prepare children to make the most out of their time in school and to give parents the opportunity to actively encourage their children in the academic arena.
The GSRP uses the High Scope curriculum to help children develop a strong interest in learning. Sparking an active interest in their own education at an early age serves children well in their future school careers. There is a maximum of eight children for every one adult in the classroom in order to ensure maximum interaction between teachers and children. Ages and Stages Questionnaires and Child Observation Records are used to keep track of each child’s developmental progress.
GSRP strives to actively involve parents in their children’s education. Parents can join the Parent Advisory Committee, attend parenting workshops and help teachers set up in the classroom. The program also lets them be more directly involved: they can read stories to children, work with them on projects, prepare classroom snacks and assist with field.
Conditions at home can have a direct impact on how well a child learns in the classroom. Because of this GSRP offers services that assess an individual family’s needs and identify community resources that could help.
• Must be a resident of Oakland County
• Your child must be four, but not five on or before December 1st of current school year
• Must be able to provide documentation of educational risk factor
Educational Risk Factors
• Low/extremely low family income
• Diagnosed disability or developmental delay
• Severe or challenging behavior
• Primary home language other than English
• Parent with low education level
• Abuse/neglect of child or parent
• Environmental risk