Grandparents Acting as Parents
The Grandparents Acting as Parents program provides free services to grandparents age 55 and older who are raising grandchildren in the Oakland County area. Priority is given to lower income, minority seniors. Program services include workshops, support groups, home visits and intergenerational activities.
• Monthly Workshops – GAP offers interactive seminars on a variety of important topics. These topics include: health and wellness, parenting, and legal issues.
• Bi-Weekly Support Groups – Support groups let grandparents meet others who are in a similar position and can relate to the ups and downs of their situation.
• Intergenerational Activities – Finding common points of interest with your grandchild can be difficult, GAP helps by providing events and activities that grandparents and grandchildren can enjoy together.
• Home Visits – Since every situation is different GAP offers home visits to those enrolled in the program. Home visits let GAP gain a better understanding of the specific difficulties that an individual family may face. Armed with this information GAP can more accurately identify which community resources would be best suited to their needs.
• Must be an Oakland County resident
• Must be 55 years or older
Generations United - Clearinghouse of information for grandparents raising children
AARP - Information on resources for raising grandchildren
Grandparents - Resources for grandparents including information on supporting healthy child development and tools for addressing some of the more common challenging situations when raising young children.